Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riffe Lake?

Default Riffe Lake?

I dont see anyone talking about riffe or alder. Im starting to go crazy being stuck inside and cant wait to get on the water. Has anyone fished either of these lakes recently, and if so how did it go?

Default Riffe

I fished Riffe two weeks ago launching at the tacoma city light park and running across to the cliffs and between two of us we landed 5 coho in the 15-17" range and 3 rainbows in the 18-20" range on custom dodgers and hootchies and homemade spinners the wind was pretty rough and it was slow going with a few lost to long line releases but it should heat up in the next month or so if they start adding a little water to the lake. Everyone fishes infront of the dam and along the north shore but in my experience the better quality fish for me generally come from further up the lake towards the barrels and the small bays around rainy creek and the base of peterman hill towards morton.

I can't wait to get back down there! I went for my first time last year and had a blast. I look forward to the posts about Riffe Lake!
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Quote Originally Posted by eenakok View Post
    I can't wait to get back down there! I went for my first time last year and had a blast. I look forward to the posts about Riffe Lake!
    It was my first year at Riffe last year too. We did pretty well the 3 times I fished it...things might be a little later this year than last, but can't wait!

Default Dodgers & Hoochies Or Wedding Rings

Awesome, I cant wait to get out there. Ive caught kokanee off the bank at the top of the dam with a slip bobber, salad shrimp and a piece of worm but this year I finally have a boat worthy of Riffe, with down riggers and I cant wait to see it in action. What is the best gear to troll with on Riffe anyways? Does anyone have site specific knowledge. If so It would be GREATLY APPREACHIATED

I know this is my first post, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. But there are no kokes in Rife lake. Just landlocked silvers.

yup, and those silvers tasted great!
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by smokercraft View Post
    Awesome, I cant wait to get out there. Ive caught kokanee off the bank at the top of the dam with a slip bobber, salad shrimp and a piece of worm but this year I finally have a boat worthy of Riffe, with down riggers and I cant wait to see it in action. What is the best gear to troll with on Riffe anyways? Does anyone have site specific knowledge. If so It would be GREATLY APPREACHIATED
    Homemade wedding ring type spinners and a 4/0 dodger worked well for me Smoker! I'd have to look back on my notes for more details...but that was the basics.

Same gear we use for kokes works great for the coho there! Wedding ring spinners, mini squid, and spoons all work good. As far as bait worms, white corn, shrimp, and gulp maggots all work too. Went quite a few times last year and had a blast and caught lots of fish

Default cant wait

Thanks for all your info. I'm not sure if the weather is always this bad this time of year. Maybe it seems worse because I have a new boat and I didn't pay attention last year butt I cant wait to try all of your tips. I may even see some of you out there this summer. Look for a smoker craft with Honda's and an awesome wife. If you say hello Ill give you a beer on ice for sure.

Be sure to keep an eye on the weather out there. The wind can kick up and things can get sloppy in a hurry.

Wife and I will be camped there over Memorial day. New 16 foot Alumacraft and Merc motors.

I have inlaws who live in Morton and I am thinking of dragging my 15' smokercraft alaskan up there and give it a go.

I have a downrigger and a two pole tag for Washington that expires the end of this month so I need to get out.

Asking for some input on where to put in and all the stuff a guy might need to fish Mayfield and Riffe lakes.

Any input to get me started will get you some good karma from the fish gods.

Thanks!! Tom

Default Riffe Lake Launches

There are a few places to launch. One is over by Mossyrock near the dam. The water is low probably may need 4x4 action due to the silt and other muck at the bottom of the ramp. A pair of hip boots is a must this time of year dropping the boat in. The other launches are on the far east side of the lake. Kosmos is 5 miles east of Morton look for Kosmos road. Its the north launch. Taidnapam launch is on the other side of Dog Mountain. Depending upon water levels these may be open or not.

I have heard of successful fishing on the northern side by the Kosmos launch using hoochies, Pink and Green with a dodger tipped with gulp maggots or corn. Use your electronics to watch bottom levels. Fish should be in the upper 25 feet or so this time of year. Troll slow also .9 to 1.5 yet be early the wind picks up and you can experience white caps pretty quick.

Those Silvers are fun and are feisty fish and great eating!!!! Good Luck out there!!!!!

Default Steelhead

Are there steelhead in Riffe Lake?

Default riffe launch

Me and the wife drove down to the park in mossy rock and a dock is in the water attached is a photo. Was taken today at noon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riffe launch.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	2647  

Default dock finally in the water

Thats great! Thanks for the pic. How was the fishing anyways?

didn't fish just want to verify the launch was in the water, me and the wife kinda took a sunday drive

Default Riffe lake

17 June 2011 started 1330-1830. My son and I went to Riffe today be honest fishing was rough. There is a lot of floating debris so beware, as I was trolling along and a ski boat came by me at 50mph at least and he hit a bobber (floating log uprite) and limped his boat to the dock. We were running 2 rods off the riggers, and one free lined out the back. We caught 10 silvers and kept 4 and carefully released 6. All fish were caught 20-40 feet down, trolling speed was 1.2-1.7. Water Temp was 55.3. Biggest fish was 15 inches, but it was a beautiful day nice and sunny.

Default reply

thanks for your info, feel sorry for that boat LOL! nothing worse than people flying bye when your fishing

Default Out on Tuesday

Well I took out the boss on Tuesday and slowly motored over towards the Dam due to all the log mines. Threw everything I had in my box of tricks. Only landed 7 with two only around 13 inches. The rest looked like plants. I fished from the top all the way down to 50 ft. Found a few at 30ft.

Last year at this time I was smoking em, yet the water temp was only 56 degrees. Water was clear and the sun was shinning so not bad to just be on the water.

Default reply

Thanks for the report! I just heard somthing about a ton of coho this time of year att the top end of the lake,at the mouth of the river,under the bridge. I guess the trick is YELLOW corn and nuked shrimp. He said if you do that you cant go wronge??????? Its hear say!

May of last year we started hammering the fish! And this year havent even tried due to the poor reports. The water is down and still cold. Will it turn around?

Default riffe

Ill bett its worming up now! Were headed down in a fiew weeks and Ill be sure to post a report.

Default Riffe lake

7 July 2011, Duroboat Rider of the forum met me at the house and off to riffe we went. Launched the boat at mossy rock water is high all of the launches are almost in the water. We fished 0500 and fished till 1130 we got 10 good silvers nothing to brag about but we had to carefully CR about a ton little ones. Yep we landed that many fish. There was no easy way to keep them off your line it was almost a nuisance. Water temp was 61.3 and trolling speed was 1.7 to 1.8 we tried every depth to try to keep little fish off the lines but it was near impossible. Baits used were RMT squid chartreuse/pink, father murphy's glow bugs and various hand tied hoochies in glow, pink, yellow, and chartreuse with a Vance's dodger. Lots of fun on the water and a wet misty morning, and I left the top at home anticipating a sunny morning, that won't happen again this year. Log jam is gone!!! fish on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riffe silvers.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	2764  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast