Thread: Recording every thing in your journal

Default Recording every thing in your journal

What is your thinking of keeping a fishing journal? There are a lot of positive statments made about keeping a journal. If you are keeping a journal, what tips do you have to get started? Do you keep the journal in your boat or just try and remember where you have fished and what you used, the color and the sucess you had that day? My way of thinking is if it is written down it isn't so easy to forget. The old adage, "If you do the same things every time you are going to get the same results". If it written down you can rely on your sucesses and improve on the things that really don't work for you. I have seen journals that are water resistant, already made up so all you do is answer the questions and the days experience is ready to refer back to (around $20.00). What are some of the ideas you are using????

u

Because I heard a lot of positive things about keeping a journal, I bought a binder with dividers and printed lake maps for all the lakes I fish. I thought I would record gps coordinates, times, depths, colors, lake level...... I never followed through. The binder is still in the boat so I have all the maps but the journal thing didn't pan out for me but my own fault.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

SD,

I did the same thing except I did keep some records for 1 whole season. The next season, all that was BS. None of the infromation applied anymore. Dang fish pulled an audible on me so now I use it mostly for the maps & maybe a few notes.

I guess if I sell the boat & gear (tell me when HELL freezes) and decide to pick up a fly rod, get my special little wooden net, my fancy boy fishing vest and special hat, I'll sit along the banks of a small stream with my fancy guy pipe and record my day's results, thoughts & ideas. Then I'll ask Robert Redford to make a movie about it, oh yea, he already did.
    Sorry it's late and I'm snowed in AGAIN!!! Bring on the spring already, MAN!!!

Mark

I gave it a try for 2 yrs, Nov 2007-Nov 2009. But I used one of the programs supplied with my computer. I was doing good until I got to the point where I was forgeting to make an entry. Sometimes I would come back a week later and dig into the memory archive to jot down what transpired. Then I got to another point when I would go and make an entry of a current trip, I would be asking myself "didn't I go fishing 4 days ago?" Where's my entry? At that I just gave up. With all of the lures I now have on board, I come to the conclusion just to hook up the boat and go fishing. The beaten path is always changing looks.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I'm lazy...there I said it. So, I just post the results of my trips here and then I can go back and check whenever I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McWillis View Post
    I'm lazy...there I said it. So, I just post the results of my trips here and then I can go back and check whenever I need to.
    Point well taken Mark
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

i use my posts here on kff as a journal. i give all the lures depth speed and such so i just go back and read old posts to remind me.
    I just know stuff...

Been there done that I did try hard for 2+ years wrote it all down, put it all in a book, then even tried to do it on the computer. It was like home work!
    I still keep a note book during the day especially if I am testing new patterns.We have a friend who has 11 years of journals ! and another who I think has 5-6 on Folsom My guess is that a pattern would emerge and you could fish to some success based on the info

My forum has become my Journal now The problem was when I deleted the old one for the new one and all the 2+ years of that forum is gone.

Rich, 5 or 6 years on Folsom!!!! My guess is that can't be a very big journal. Back of an old gas reciept would probably do for the "dead sea"!!!

Like mentioned, I just go to trusted forums like KFF or trusted fellow anglers now.

Mark

I used to keep a record of kokanee trips to Paulina Lake. The records show a total of 49 trips over 4 years (2004-2007.) I quit doing it mainly because I started to see a pattern and remembered what was done from year to year.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-19-2011 at 07:14 PM.

I've kept a journal in word doc at home for 3-4 years now. Used to be very detailed, write down every single trip, pictures, etc. Late last summer it became only successful trips getting in. Like stated it's kind of like homework and can get overwhelming. I like to read them to refresh what I've tried and haven't, what worked last year even though it probably won't the next. Dad kept one for decades and I found it useful for myself getting into fishing so anymore when I write in my journal I have my own kids' future fishing in mind

I've been using the template below for quite awhile now. I find it very useful when planning trips, making certain lures or coming up with a game plan for a specific place at different times of the year. It would be different if I only fished a couple of places all the time, but this really helps me narrow down as to what worked and what may not have produced. I will usally include maps or other recon info that I gather on the first couple of times to a new place...then go from there!

Fishing/Camping Log

Place Fished:
    Accommodations and Contact Information:
    Date(s):
    Mileage:
    Site/Cabin #:
    Weather Conditions:
    Wind:
    Ambient Temp:
    Water Temp.:
    Water Clarity:
    Moon Phase:

Location Fished:

Lure Type:

Bait Used:

Method:

Depth/Speed:

Catch Record:

Additional Notes: (Best time of year to come? Favorite sites/cabins? Any dislikes etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    Rich, 5 or 6 years on Folsom!!!! My guess is that can't be a very big journal. Back of an old gas reciept would probably do for the "dead sea"!!!

Mark
    HAHAHA Mark for you or me a match book cover would do with room left over but this guy does know the lake we have never left without fish. He targets Salmon mostly but knows how to put Bows in the net too!
    Dad kept one for decades and I found it useful for myself getting into fishing so anymore when I write in my journal I have my own kids' future fishing in mind
    Now that is a good motivator right there cudo's to you.

I am with Bduck, just hookup and figure out whats working that day.

I kept a pretty decent journal for 5 or 6 years(timing location,lure, color, speed, weather, location, port turn fish, starbord turn fish, etc, etc, etc. ) and not much seemed to be consistent so over the last few years i have just jotted down on a calender a few notes such as success, timing and location, and that is it. Plus i am a pond hopper so its hard to find consistency for me anyways.
    But over the years from the logs i have kept and good old internet I generally know where to go and what you can expect outta that place, not including the **** house luck, of course.
    Mack's Pro Staff