Thread: Fish Finder??

Question Fish Finder found ( Furuno)

LOVE IT LOTS Of POWER!! NICE PICTURE!! LARGE SCREEN!!
    Last edited by Al Vose; 04-02-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Welcome to the forum! You can learn a lot here. It's best to search previous postings first. The most popular fishfinders are Lowrance HDS series, Humminbird, Ray Marine and Furuno. You should be able to see these at your local dealer, or at an ISE show in your area. In fact, at ISE shows, you can get hands-on demos with factory reps. This is the time of year for these shows. Good luck!
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

The Northwest Sportsman Show in Portland is going to be on February 9-13 at the expo center near Delta Park. Lowrance usually has several seminars scheduled and if one does not fit your needs I am sure you can talk with one of their reps. I assume the other manufacturers will be there also.

Here is the shows website and closer to the event there will be a listing of all the venders there.

http://www.otshows.com/shows/pnwss/a...exhib_list.htm

Don't forget to stop by the Kokanee Power of Oregon booth and say high.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Do they usually have some pretty good deals on Lowrance FF/GPS combo's at the Portland show? Might be interested in a HDS-7, if the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by BorntoFish01 View Post
    Do they usually have some pretty good deals on Lowrance FF/GPS combo's at the Portland show? Might be interested in a HDS-7, if the price was right.
    IMO, you can find better deals on these things online than at a show but are you one that wants to be able to take it back to where you bought it if there is a problem?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The HD units are nice..but come with a price! Fishing kokes you do not need HD bottom image..you need to find the school, gps to mark your hotspots, temp and speed are nice. It's all about power & pixels. 2 new units to be released next month that really sound good
    are Lowrance Elite 5 DSI combo, 4,000 watt, 480x480 pixels, 16ch gps, maps..Humminbird 597ci HD DI Combo, 4,000 watt,640x640 pixel, 50ch gps,
    maps..you get more power, pixels and bigger gps plus HD for the same price,
    I have mine on order....good luck, good fishing!!!

Thanks for the heads-up on these other products; I'll have to check them out. Like most other anglers, Kokes are only one of many species I go after on a variety of waters.

Hi!

I have a 14' wooden Guideboat that I use for fishing Kokes.
    We have 2 lakes here in Ct. with Kokes.
    Deepest lake in Ct. is 110 ft.

My Vexilar LC-10 portable color fishfinder gave up after 9 years of excellent service.

Finally after much research will be getting a Garmin echo 300c dual beam color fishfinder.
    It's very new to the market and I have to wait till April 22 for it to be available.
    Getting it from Sails Marine which is selling it at a super price of $181.00

Small but powerful, portable, and has many features that bigger units have.
    Has a view angle of 120 degrees and bottom detail to 1,500 ft.

Garmin also makes other exceptional finders -> Worth a look!

Best regards,
    SeaDog

I would recomend spending as much as you can on a fishfinder. It is the one piece of equipment you will use every time you go fishing for every type of fish. Get the most power, the biggest screen, and definately GPS. I know there are guys ouy there that will tell you they catch just as many fish with their $150.00 Eagle, but once you use a bigger, more powerful unit with more features, you will love it. Also I'm not sold on the side scan/down scan imaging. I went to the fishing show in Las Vegas last year and talked to the guys from Lowrance for a long time about those units. They are not that easy to read. One gal there was a Redfish tourney angler and she said she spends more time looking at fishfinder in different veiws than she does fishing. Structure shows up great on those units..fish do not !!

I might be able to understand a bass fishermans need for side scan but when I'm using downriggers I need to see the bottom and its structure. Alot of lakes go from for instance 150' to 20' instantly. Also it helps to see trees, bushes, etc, laying on the bottom. I like the color finders which I have one and I like the HD technology which is in my future plans to have one. Not sure of what brand to get but there is alot to look into.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Al Vose View Post
    will show me the schools and the lake trout in the ARCH MODE!.
    Most sonar units even those that are 10 years old will display fish as an arch on your screen. Check your owners manual for this feature as you probably need to have it in manual mode rather that automatic especially if it's drawing little fishes on your screen.

Noting when you posted this originally, what did you get? Please share with others your trials and tribulations.

Default Fishfinder

I agree..The name of the game today is...power,pixels,screen size,portability,
    dual beams, HD,GPS,and Charts. So you would think a unit like that would be
    thousand dollars or more!! But I just bought the new Humminbird 597 ci HD DS
    GPS Chart Combo for $650.00 This unit has 4,000 watts and 480x480 pixels,
    stay away from the 3D units. For the money this unit was power packed and
    had all the bells and whistles.

I would suggest, just suggest your electrics are the most important part of your boat as "Jacksonlaker" advised. I fully agree. Just recently I got salt water in my chip compartment probably out Crapping on my Lowarance Unit when I contact Lowarance I was advised they don't work on models over 5 yrs old I requested I had a $2.000 dollar unit there reply was "SORRY" I know own a Garmin 740S model and loving it. purchase what you can afford. These High Lakes hold some other great fish Macks/large trout you want a good unit. I personnel feel a Garmin Unit like the 300c echo is a great place to start. These HD model can be complicated to operate. Good luck Mr.Mike