Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadwood

was it was a decent day with the powerbait and worms. the two nicest rain bows were bouncing from deep to shallow up a ridge. thanks for the info. We are headed back this weekend so I'll let you know how we do (-;

Hey all, I am planning a trip to Deadwood for some kokanee and to try the Chinook. How big are the kokanee there? Any good advice on what to use and possible size of the Chinook?

Question for the people who have caught Chinooks at deadwood. About how deep are these fish this time of year. I have downriggers but no fish finder. Finding the kokes are never a problem. Year before last the kokanee were 13-14 inches.......the same this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by alhntr View Post
    Question for the people who have caught Chinooks at deadwood. About how deep are these fish this time of year. I have downriggers but no fish finder. Finding the kokes are never a problem. Year before last the kokanee were 13-14 inches.......the same this year ?
    I read in a pervious post the kokes were only running about 9" this year at Deadwood. No need to drive all the way to Deadwood when you can catch all the small kokes you want at Anderson.

I am heading up to Deadwood on Wednesday for a five day camp out. Does any one know what the road condition is, and if the kokes have any size to them? I am going to try and target the Chinook and the bigger trout, does anyone have any advice as far as depth to start with for the bigger fish. I will give a report when I get back on how I did.

They put the hurt on deadwood chinook last year by almost draining it to nothing and oxygen levels were very low. There are still probably a few in there with some size but everyone of my friends that have been in there say stay home. One of my friends that fishes there has fished it all of his life hasnt caught a chinook yet. Maybe tuff to fish this year or gone, bad timing maybe I dont know which one. Kokes are tiny this year biggest they have caught is a 9 " most 7 & 8 but they are every where.

Thanks for the up-date. Sounds like it will be a good trip to get away from the heat of the valley and do some hiking. I might try to smoke and can a bunch of those little guys.

You'll have fun, let me know how it works out.
    Last edited by fishslayer13; 07-15-2014 at 08:53 AM.

We just got back last night and I am getting a brine ready so I can start smoking and canning. It didn't take very long to figure out where the fish were and what they wanted to bite, the hard part was getting more fish in the boat than lost. We had four family's there with kids and everyone caught fish taking turns in a 12 foot boat with a 1969 9.5 with 2 down-riggers...accept the wives! They were at 25-30 ft in the mornings and 35 ft at mid day. We used a 5" dodger with a pink mister twister crappie jig, with about a 5 foot set back in order to get the fish straight up to the boat and in the net before they could go crazy. In two days of fishing we caught about 120 fish at 7-10 inches and we rested on the third day. We also lost about 2 fish to every one that we caught.

We drove in over Scott Mt. with a boat on the rack and towing a pop-up. The road was ok. When we came out we drove through Cascade and they just grated the road about a week ago. It was great!

campdog, sounds like a blast with the family! If people ask me about catching small kokes I tell them, "they are all the same size in the jar."
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Has anyone tried Deadwood this year for Kokanee... or Trout?

Default Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeJoe View Post
    Has anyone tried Deadwood this year for Kokanee... or Trout?
    Fished Deadwood 6/27/2015 boated 30 small flasher with red wedding ring tipped with corn. 12 to 13 inch fish. Anywhere from 25 to 35 ft deep.

Is the road to Deadwood through Warm Lake and Landmark open yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    Is the road to Deadwood through Warm Lake and Landmark open yet?
    Yes it is, pretty rough!

Default Scott Mtn.

Anybody been up or down Scott Mtn road lately, what kind of shape is it in?

Default Deadwood

Fished Deadwood Saturday and Sunday 7/18, 7/19. 3 guys boated 75 all 13"to 14" one Chinook 20" and 2 pounds. 30 ft down on riggers with flasher wedding ring set up. Most fish starting to turn pink. Scoot Mtn road is bad as useaual to summit. Came out through landmark it has been freshly graded.

Hello All. Haven't been to Deadwood in about 22 years. Can a guy still launch at the north end where the river comes in? Heading up this week with my grandson. Hopefully we can catch some before they run. Looks like the Landmark route is the way to get in.

Default Deadwood.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyFishingAgain View Post
    Hello All. Haven't been to Deadwood in about 22 years. Can a guy still launch at the north end where the river comes in? Heading up this week with my grandson. Hopefully we can catch some before they run. Looks like the Landmark route is the way to get in.
    Depending on size of boat you can still launch where the river comes in. Bigger boat you would be better of heading to the ramp at Cozy Cove. Landmark is definitely the way to go. Still a pretty good mix of silver fish and pre spawners. Meat is in great shape on all fish. Have fun!!!

Thanks for the info. Got a 14 footer that is easy to get around.

Went to Deadwood from 7/18 - 7/22. Had a great time! Only a little bit of rain and caught over 60 nice-sized Kokanees; brought home 55 (with heads and tails attached ). I was surprised at the size, as most of them were 14"+/-. I haven't seen them that big up there for many years. They are starting to turn color, but still very good and I can attest they smoke up really nice.

Caught them at all times of day; we would boat 10-12 in a 2-hour period, but I have to admit, we lost as many as we caught, but lost very few at the boat - mainly because my wife knows how to handle the net. Used Ford Fender with 4 oz lead, orange Gary's gear with 2 oz lead, and copper Gary's gear with 3 oz lead. Copper turned out to be the hottest. I have a downrigger, but I'm still a newbie at using it. So I didn't use it much - mainly because by the time I would get it set up, my wife would have landed 2 fish by then. I'll start practicing for next time though...

Oh, and the road going in through Landmark on 7/18 was terrible, but going out on 7/22, it wasn't too bad. Maybe it was graded during the time I was there.
    Attachment 8205

Made the trip July 23-24 thru Landmark. Road wasn't too bad. Made a killing on the kokes on sat but couldn't keep the boat straight after the wind came up around noon. Went back in the evening and nailed em again. Sunday started off slow for us but another boat told us to go a little deeper to 38 ft and we got back into them again. Were throwing back the ones that weren't hurt by then but still brought home enough for the smoker and freezer. Most of them 14 in +/-. Slamming pink wiggle hoochies on Saturday but had better luck with wedding rings behind dodgers on sunday but caught some on most everything we tried. We also lost about 1/3 of what we hooked. A great return to the lake after so long! Gonna be a long winter waiting to hit it again next year.

Going up mid august, hopefully the fishing will still be good. How deep is the reservoir? First time fishing it, any tips?

I went 8/4/15 lot's of Kokanee at 25-40 ft deep they would bite just about anything most of the fish are getting very orange and running 12-14". I caught one rainbow about 17" and no other big fish. I spent most of my time trolling for the bigger fish with #13 rapalas and Brads cut plugs--no luck so far

Just got back today--Fished 2 days. I caught a 8lb 2 oz Rainbow and a 4.5 lb Chinook I fished 50 ft deep with Rapalas. Another guy caught a 12-14 lb chinook
    8-20-2015

Quote Originally Posted by rem40xb1 View Post
    Just got back today--Fished 2 days. I caught a 8lb 2 oz Rainbow and a 4.5 lb Chinook I fished 50 ft deep with Rapalas. Another guy caught a 12-14 lb chinook
    8-20-2015
    What kind of rapalas? Never fished with them before, looking for some good trout rapalas, not sure what size or type to get.
    Last edited by DeltaDude; 08-20-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast