Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing for Kokanee

Default Ice fishing for Kokanee

I just posted an update on the Colorado forum on a recent ice fishing outing at a high mountain lake here in Colorado. This lake (Antero) is known for how fast the trout grow by feeding on the fresh water shrimp (scud). A couple of years ago the Colorado DOW started stocking Kokanee into Antero and while ice fishing earlier this week for trout we also caught a few Kokanees. Antero is only about 15-16 feet deep and in the summer there is a lot of weed growth, so at first impression it not the typical deep water reservoir you think of for Kokanee. It is good to see the Kokanee doing well. At Antero the weeds can grow so thick that by early summer trolling is very difficult. So during the winter ice fishing for the Kokanee is when they may be the most accessible. All of this leads me to ask and hopefully start a discussion on Ice fishing tips and techniques for Kokanee.

Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!!!
    niteskies

I've caught kokes through the ice at a little reservoir close to home but what I've discovered is when you target for them, they're not around. We fished from daybreak till about 2pm without a bite, then, just as we were packing up to leave we got a hit. Since they are a schooling species, they're harder to catch through the ice. Unlike trolling untill you find them. We kept pulling them out on the ice one after another, fast and furious for about 15 minutes then they were gone just as fast as they came. We didn't even need to bait the ice flies at times because you could see them take the bare jig at about 5' deep when we were over 55' of water. It appeared they liked hitting it on the fall and of course, 1/64oz ice flies don't fall too fast. Hope this helps?

Tom said it pretty good. they are schooled up and when they come through, its fast and furious for a bit. Im gettin ready for a koke run to the pig soon. Just gotta get my elk shot and into teh butcher and then its kokanee time through the ice.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Mark

Give me a hollar when you decide to go for kokes. I wanna go too!

Will do buddy. I can see about a dozen or so of us going that have showed an interest in going. Will get Steve and Tom to go also. Tom is getting hooked up for Christmas with Ice fishing gear.

I'm in. I need to build too. Any suggestions besides beer?
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Just more Beer!

Looks like that makes me the designated driver AGAIN!

::

Hey guys , you have my attention. I just might just need to try that action, if you don't me tagging along. Let me know when I've never been after Kokes through the ice before sounds like fun.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

What exactly do you guys use, a little flasher and what for a jig?

Have always done well with either a buzz bomb or else a standard ice fly/ attractor pattern. they are usually suspended and come through in schools, fast and furious when they come through.

Talking

ME TO ME TO I WANT TO GO PLEASE

There will be an open invitation to all when we go Dave. No worries!

i tried once but dident find them at antero , i fish gm alot for silver kokes threw the ice , usually its good in feb and march , i hope to get into them at wolford , willow creek and williams fork , there is also a decent population of them in clear creek res , as far as tips , i use pink or orange swedish pimples , small pink jigs , wax worms , red and tan meal worms , spikes and white shoepeg corn are all good baits , i run a jigging machine to keep the schools interested in the area im fishing

Quote Originally Posted by silverkoke View Post
    i tried once but dident find them at antero , i fish gm alot for silver kokes threw the ice , usually its good in feb and march , i hope to get into them at wolford , willow creek and williams fork , there is also a decent population of them in clear creek res , as far as tips , i use pink or orange swedish pimples , small pink jigs , wax worms , red and tan meal worms , spikes and white shoepeg corn are all good baits , i run a jigging machine to keep the schools interested in the area im fishing
    You got me hook, line, and sinker.. What's a jigging machine???

What's a jigging machine???
    Battery operated rod jerker. LOL! Tell your wife you're buying on of those.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Battery operated rod jerker. LOL! Tell your wife you're buying on of those.
    Thanks for explaining... :: I've seen those machines, but it seems as though you would loose alot of fish useing them. Where I fish if your not concentrating and don't set the hook the second the koke even breathes on your jig you'll miss em.

The purpose for the Jigging machine is to jig a couple sets of cow bells/pop gear up and down to attract the Kokanee and help hold them in the area where you are ice fishing. There is no hook or lure at the end of the cow bells. As a matter of fact I have found that a 2 oz. weight at the bottom of the cow bells helps pull the cow bells down and minimize slack in the line on the down stroke of the jigging machine.

I only recently built my jigging machine out of an old windshield wiper motor and am still learning what works best. I have several different sets of cow bells - a rainbow pattern set, a silver dimpled surface willow leaf set, a silver and brass blade set with red or green reflective tape strips on the blades. I am not sure what set works best. Another part of the equation is how far over from the hole the jigging machine is in should the holes be that have the rods with the jigs/bait. In shallower water I believe closer, in deeper water I believe farther apart, but that is only my best guess and I am still experimenting with how much distance between the cow bells and the jigs/lures.

niteskies
    Last edited by niteskies; 01-05-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks for explaining that niteskies...that makes alot of sense! Another thing that might be worth a try is attaching a scent dispenser to the end of the cowbells.

I was in a sports shop the other day and a pretty nice looking brunette came in with a big box and opened it up. She has just taken over a local bait distributer, and was making the rounds.

Long story short, she's married, and I bought a couple packs of krill.
    Apparently its a hot ticket on my local lake. I have other plans tomorrow but I'm going to try them pretty quick. Anyone else use them?

Hi Guys!

I made the same cow-bell type rig here in Connecticut, only with a small lake troll with 3 colorado blades.
    Attached a 3 inch stainless steel Tea Ball (that has a hasp at the top and hinge at the bottom).

Using a blender I puree a can or 2 of shoepeg corn then pour it (just the liquid) into an ice cube tray and freeze it.
    Put a rock and 1-2 corn cubes in the Tea Ball and send it down a hole (about 8 ft.).
    The shoepeg corn cubes will melt slowly and scent the area I'm fishing.

Oh! I hang the whole rig on a 5-6 foot 1/4 inch whippy fiberglass pole with a piece of plastic at the top end to catch the wind so it jiggs up and down so the colorado blades flash.
    Going to try sticking some 1 or 2 inch green light sticks in the rig and see how that works attracting Kokes.

I know from experience that the Kokes will hit my white moon-glow jigs tipped with shoepeg corn or maggots.
    Also found out that the New "Tarantula Jig" I got from Bentley is a "KILLER JIG" on Kokes!!!!!!
    Fished up my limit of 8 the other day in less than an hour!!!!!

Looking forward to the next few days to get out and hook into more Kokes!!! :D

Best regards,
    SeaDog

Default Re:

Make sure you use a good tip up. Don't scrimp with such a good prize on the line. Make sure the line pulls freely from the spool. Last year I used a few cheaper tip ups along with some good ones, and every time a fish hit the cheaper tip ups, we lost it because the line froze up and we weren't able to properly set the hook. Use a heavy sinker to get your line to the bottom and then bring it up a few cranks. That's where you want your bait.And when a big northern sets off your tip up, make sure you watch the line for awhile and wait for the right time to set the hook. If the line is moving slowly or not at all, wait a few minutes for the fish to start running.

heres some kokes from threw the ice
    Last edited by silverkoke; 01-17-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Thats a nice bunch of silver rockets there Silverkoke, Would have loved to have caught them yesterday at the pig. We caught some but they were much smaller. Had a great time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast