Thread: Putting Scent On Hootchies

Default Putting Scent On Hootchies

Does anyone put scents directly on their hootchie bodies as well as the corn or other terminal gear you use ?

I do put scent on the hoochie from time to time but be careful. I have found that the gels are very very hard to clean off the hoochie while the oils clean off easily.

RK Spinners makes a hoochie with a foam insert in the head of the hoochie that will hold scent. Great idea but still needs to be cleaned out of the scene will get rancid.

Best cleaner? I keep a small 6pack size ice chest in the boat filled with water and a little lemon joy, great cleaner and does not leave any scent on your hands that will scare the fish.
    Last edited by DLM; 01-18-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Default Scenting options

I for one do not scent my squid bodies; I have found that doing so causes two problems. One, it causes them to deteriorate rather quickly and Two it’s pretty messy. When your running multiple lines and changing stuff out, it doesn’t take long and you have scent on everything in the boat. Three options:

1.) If using a squid/blade combo I put the scent on the rear down bill side of the blade. While the blade swings from side to side it leaves a wider scent trail that the squid runs through.

2.) I take a piece of clean chamois cloth and cut 1” strips off of it, then I cut those into 1/4” - 3/16” wide strips. So they are 1” long 1/4” – 3/16” wide. Then I cut them into either maggot shapes or squid shapes. Attach them to the trail hook on your squid, wet them in the water then scent them. When I’m done they go in the garbage. They work like a charm.

3.) Get the scent dispenser from pro-cure and attach them behind your cannonball.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0408 - 400.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	1156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0409 - 400.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	1157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0410 - 400.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	1158  
    Last edited by Trophy Taker; 01-17-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: grammer issues
    “Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after.” Henry David Thoreau

Team RMT

Default Scent On Hootchies

Great ideal using chamois. One can also use them for salmon fishing placing them around the bodies of large lures.

T.T.-----Chamios looks like a great idea for scent ! Thanks for the tip , gotta try it this spring!!

Fourteen....I usually put the scent on the Ball troll or I found some small Berkley spinners that I got on sale with a scent holder on it so I took them apart and use the scent holder on the front of a dodger.

...................Kokonuts
    Last edited by Kokonuts; 01-17-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

I use chamois inside the pro-cure scent dispenser like Trophy Taker mentioned to help soak up the scent and dispense it slowly...works great. On days when I don't feel like useing the dispenser, I just put gel scent on the ball and dodger. I don't use hoochies much but have read of other's useing yarn or pom-poms to help hold scent. One of these days we'll probably see hoochie scent dispensers that you just clip over your leader and slide the hoochie over.

Just noticed on my previous post I said the cleaner that I use was Lemon Pledge. MISPRINT! Lemon Joy is what I meant. I clean my lures not polish them

Great idea on the chamois and I may try it if not using corn. I keep three different scents of corn on the boat and that usually sufices. I do put scent on the hoochie sometimes like I said but that is not my preferred method.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Default Check out this product for Scenting

I think that this product could work. This item would alow you to ad your own scent to it. What is convient is the method for attaching it to you equipment. I am going to order these to try!

Here is a the address to get to this companies web site

http://www.aqua-scent.com/demo.php

Default The Fish Tickle for Scenting

Here is a YOU TUBE presentation for this product. This is the same product in my earlier post! It is interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZqChpQo5g

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
    I think that this product could work. This item would alow you to ad your own scent to it. What is convient is the method for attaching it to you equipment. I am going to order these to try!

Here is a the address to get to this companies web site

http://www.aqua-scent.com/demo.php

Has anyone used this one yet? Be sure to give us all the details!!
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

If i find a scent the fish are hammering i personally squirt a a whole bunch up inside the squid and re-up after each fish too.... if thats what they want that is what i give em. As for it stinking up everthing else, i usually retie setups for each outing anyways to minimize lost fish.
    Mack's Pro Staff