View Poll Results: What length Hoochie works the best?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1.5"

96 77.42%
  • 2.25"

28 22.58%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoochies, Short or Long

you and your "Hoochie Mamas" Don. What are we gonna do with you?
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I did pretty good with RMT glow in the Dark Hoochies last year. They became my number 1 go to hoochie right from the start. I always have them on one of my poles. Get down around 45-50 ft and they become essential.

Yamasita/Gold Star came out with some "micro" hootchies last year. Very slendor same length as a RGT. They kicked some serious butt last year. Add one (1) 5mm glow bead but dont insert it. Just position it at the very base inside the tenicles. This will spead the tenicles out. Great action fished 8-10 inches from the dodger.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    Yamasita/Gold Star came out with some "micro" hootchies last year. Very slendor same length as a RGT. They kicked some serious butt last year. Add one (1) 5mm glow bead but dont insert it. Just position it at the very base inside the tenicles. This will spead the tenicles out. Great action fished 8-10 inches from the dodger.

Mark
    Are these on the market someplace? I don't see them on their website nor have I seen them in stores. I HAVE seen them tied up by some tackle makers though, just not available that I know of to the public.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

dlm,

The only place I've been able to get them is guns, fishin & other stuff in Vacaville Ca. I've got a buddy who lives there and picked some up for me. The have a web site and I'm sure they ship. Look'em up & good luck.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dlm View Post
    Are these on the market someplace? I don't see them on their website nor have I seen them in stores. I HAVE seen them tied up by some tackle makers though, just not available that I know of to the public.
    Are these what your referring to? (towards bottom of page)...
    http://www.kenscustomtackle.com/trollinglures.html

Ken's are worth having also. I've got a supply from him but the Yamasita/Gold star are a bit smaller.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    Are these what your referring to? (towards bottom of page)...
    http://www.kenscustomtackle.com/trollinglures.html
    Yup, that is what I want only not rigged, I like to "roll" my own.

I see them on the Silver Horde website, but no way to order from there. Maybe if I go into a retailer they can order them out of their catalog.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

here's another source for the Goldstar/Silver Horde 1 3/4" micro squids.
    http://www.tedssportscenter.com/minioctopus.htm

has both the double glows and the UVs

they're also a popular sockeye lure, the ocean migrating big brother of our kokes.

great tentacle action especially with a small buoyant 3/16 Lil' Corky ball up in the tentacles floating them open in the swing action from the blade/dodger
    i like the luminescent pink or purple ghost Corky colors

full color chart
    http://www.silverhorde.com/id153.html
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 02-23-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

^^^ Good info smokin' Kokes! I found this interesting...
    http://www.silverhorde.com/id141.html
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 02-23-2011 at 06:27 PM.

more of the lure ocean and river salmon guys are putting hoohies on their spoons.

even see hoochies being used by some of the springer guys on the Quickfish tail hook or in front of the herring rig.

i use them steelhead jig fishing instead of the maribou or flashbou feathers.

here's a couple other hoochie sources, in Canada but shipping is very reasonable.
    http://nikka.ca/store/department/66/Tackle/

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/?c...eac75b&filter=

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/?c...eac75b&filter=

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/michaelbait.html
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 02-23-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

For many years all I used were wedding ring spinners and double whammies. Last year I bought some assassin spinners I guess because of how similar they are to what I was comfortable with and had great success. I also decided to try some 2.5 inch pink hoochies because of what I'd heard and read. I was not disappointed! Hoochies will be a big part of what I use from now on. I guess the moral of the story for me is to not get into a rut and branch out with as much as you have access to. So many lures, so little time.

try the new 1.5 hoochies from vance tackel doubled my fish count this year ended up with an average of 37 fish per trip if any one fishes Green Peter drop me a line I'll be happy to help you out

why does this continually appear as a new post, is it advertising in disguise???????

Quote Originally Posted by RalphL View Post
    why does this continually appear as a new post, is it advertising in disguise???????
    Someone probably just voted in the poll. Since this poll doesn't have an expiration date anytime a new vote is added it brings the thread back to the top of the page.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 01-02-2012 at 02:19 PM.

I think that every lure type requires different leader lengths, dodger/flasher choices and boat speeds. I don't have as much experience as some of you, but I do catch fish on a variety of lures including apex and hootchies. With a hootchie, you have to shorten the leader a LOT compared to an apex. The hoochie will get some action only when it is pretty close to the dodger. The longer the leader, the less action it will have. I'm often using 6-9 inch leaders on hootchies. I like the wiggle hootchies from Shasta Tackle and Crystal Basin because they wiggle like an apex and have the skirt of a hootchie. Those I can use longer leaders with.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Here is what I would consider the true micro from Goldstar/Silver Horde at 1.5" long.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I was able to order the 1.5 LP shrimp from Fishermans wharehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by TopFuelKokanee View Post
    I've run a spin-n-glo in front of a hoochie (did not try to attach the two together) with some success, maybe have a glow bead between the two. Making the hoochies work will have a lot to do with what you run them behind. Using a dodger or a sling blade and having the right leader length to create good action at the hoochie is really important.
    --clip one wing of the spin-n-glow for more wobble.

#15 Yama****a/Goldstar Micro Squids with a glo bead inside with shoepeg corn in secret sauce, tail hook finger width apart. #1 and #2 hooks. Oh yeah. 8" to 10" behind an Arrow, Simon or Slingblade dodger. All day long. Kokanee in the cooler.

Is Yama****a and dirty word?

Yamafeces to be more sophisticated.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Yama$h!ta.... Silverhorde imports them. Anywho, they work fantistico... Yamafeces....Bahahahahaha!!

I like the shorter ones myself. I tie my own and love the action of adding the wiggle bill. I've had very good luck with them so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171024_143349.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	9283  

A lot of time has past since this was posted,and numerous new product have enter the market place that I fell are more productive. I've notice small mini stuff has been the go to product,but every lake fished different I'm a tube fly trolling type guy. I haven't use a hoochies in 5 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast