Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Rods Are We Using For Koknee?

Default What Rods Are We Using For Koknee?

Hi All,
    Here is a good question What Rods Are We Using For Koknee?
    so as a custom rod builder I would like to ask the question and take a poll and just see what we are all using out there and maybe give and get some incite

I use custom wrapped Calstar and Seeker blanks spiral wrapped guides. Blank numbers are Calstar BT130-7 #4 to #12 and BT196L-7 #8 to #20 and Seeker numbers CSP702-1 #4 to #10

The Calstar blanks are E-glass the Seeker blanks are E-glass/Graf composite
    the Calstar's have a fast taper to a light tip with a lot of back bone in the butt
    The Seeker's have a mod taper with good back bone in the butt.

DaveB
    DB Custom Fishing Rods

I have lamiglas Team kokanee Jared Johnson Signature rods on my boat. Id like to get a couple Vance tackle spiral rods i looked at them the last 2 years and really like them
    I just know stuff...

I too am using Team Kokanee Jared Johnson signature rods. Haven't looked into anything else at the moment. Always open for new equipment.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

For trolling the Vance's Custom Spiral Wrap Model# LT702-7T
    For jigging the Berkley Tactix Drop Shot/Finesse Model#TXS661MLF

I'm using custom rods build by Terry Walton up at Pine Flat.
    The ones I have are built on St. Croix blanks, spiral wrappped, almost fly rod type action, 7'1/2" and 8' long. I also have a couple of Vance's spiral wrapped.
    Terry and I have a web page. If you want to check out a couple of examples of his Trout and Bass rods, you can go here http://www.bottomlinetackle.com/fres...ods/index.html
    While you're there, check out the Presentation Rod section
    Tight Lines and Screamin' Drags

DaveB,

I'm using the 7' Mr. Kokanee Special rods made by Russ Faught of Fisherman's Friend in Lodi, CA as well as 7' Shakespeare Intrepids for "backups." I just picked up some St. Croix Premier 7'6" Kokanee Rods that I can't wait to try out soon.

There was a previous discussion very similar to your thread. Check it out by clicking here.

Team Kokanee rods all the way. I love how it makes smaller fish big.
    Rocky Mountain Tackle

Lamiglas Team Kokanee JJ specials all the way around on my boat!
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I am using 6' and 6 1/2' uglystik's. I just bought a new 8' berkly for $30. I must be a cheapskate, I don't use nothing to fancy.

just purchased the lamiglass team kokanee jj . What a great feeling rod with a fish on.

I use ths Lamiglas FC702UL w/Tica reels . Great action for kokes. Back ups are st. croix pc76lm w/abu garcia 4600 reels and the eagle claw starfire ul 8'6" ul w/pinnacle vision reels.

Quote Originally Posted by Petty4life View Post
    I have lamiglas Team kokanee Jared Johnson Signature rods on my boat. Id like to get a couple Vance tackle spiral rods i looked at them the last 2 years and really like them
    I'm also using the JJ Signature Red Rods and they are very nice. Only have been able to get them on the water once so far.

Bob

Just got back from the Gorge and it was the first chance to use a couple of new Team Kokanee JJ rods I had got at a sport show. At first it seemed a little bit limber because I have been using heavier Fenwicks but it wasn't long before I got into them and kinda like em. Not a bit sorry for buying them.

I'm using 2ea 8'6" 8 to 12 pound test uglystiks, one eyelet free shasta brand kokanee rod, and one shimano clarus 8'6" 6 to 12 pound ultra lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullets View Post
    For trolling the Vance's Custom Spiral Wrap Model# LT702-7T
    For jigging the Berkley Tactix Drop Shot/Finesse Model#TXS661MLF
    Exactly what I use, man that Silver Bullets is a smart guy

Daiwa Spinmatic SMC 702ULFB
    Lamiglas Rock Creek Series AC73UL
    Shakespear Catera SP6070
    Lamiglas FC 76 UL
    Berkley Tactix TXS661MLF (for jigging)

In addition to the aformentioned JJ Lamiglass rods, I also like the 8 ft. Kufa kokanee rods. They are great in the rodholder for loading in the riggers and I've caught 4+ lb kokes on them so they handle big fish too.

My personal favorite is my Kokaneemart handmade rods made on a Rainshadow 3-weight blank. We do 15 eyes (yes 15!) and they are awesome...rated 2- 8 lb and I've caught 4+ lb kings and 2+ lb kokes with no problems...except for the huge smile on my face!!!
    Ric Brown

I run 4-GLoomis, GL2, STR1083S, 9’, Light, Mod Fast Action, Rods. I love the length of a 9' rod when fighting fish that outrun the action on a shorter rod. In my opinion I get less break offs and less hook pull outs!

I just got 2 WW GRigg 8'4" GX853C Meduim Light action rods. I run some mid-quality low profile reels on them and with 10 pound mono they are awesome. At about 30 bucks from Sportsman's Warehouse, they are a nicely priced rod as well.

Does anyone have any idea where the Lamiglas jj rods are still available?

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERHAWK View Post
    Does anyone have any idea where the Lamiglas jj rods are still available?
    Fisherman's Friend in Lodi had some and I bought two. I'm not impressed with these two JJ Lamiglas Kokanee rods. Sure they look neat but they are very poorly built.
    The rod buts were crooked as heck and seating material was showing. Whoever put them together should be fired. Maybe they ran out of the right rod butts?
    Both rods had a slight bend on the tip sections and a few of the guides were bent. I know the rods are fairly inexpensive but jeesh.

If I would have seen them in person I wouldn't have bought these two rods. I would have looked them over to find two good ones but I ordered them sight unseen.
    I have used Lamiglas Rods for years and I've never seen such poor quality on any rod they've ever built.

They should be dissapointed. What happened to their QC? The good thing is they fish well and load up nicely in the downriggers.

I have a couple Daiwa Spinmatic's that cost 1/2 as much that are much better built and they work really well. They're a great rod for the price. I'll be picking up a couple more soon.
    Last edited by Excaliber; 07-06-2009 at 10:55 PM.

dbcfr,

Pardner, I have used 'em all over the years from a Grizzly blank #4 fly-rod blank that I tyed up in the 60's to a Lamiglass "Summer Run" 8'6" (Light X86LC). I have a Shimano/Calcutta 50 on it w/6# PowerPro. I downrigg w/this setup and it has provided me alot of enjoyment akin to mooching salmon off of similiar gear w/a direct drive reel.

I too have looked at and rejected Lamiglass's Koke rods. I have not seen the JJ's and I'm sure Excaliber knows his/her rods. But I am a Lamiglass/Sage rod devotee. OK, I like St. Croix and Berkeley too! I guess what I am saying is that to fish Kokes, ya need a 7'6" - 8' 6" fast action light weight rod that simply suits your taste. Go that way and add guides (more guides = more stiffness) just seems to mean to me to add length. It's really a matter of preference on what provides you the enjoyment of catching these great fiesty fish. Those spiral rods just fascinate me and maybe I can get out with one of you Kokonuts that have one to try one?

Just remember, different rods for different folks. As long as your having fun it's all good!

Mossback

Well I have just wrapped up 4 Seeker CSP702 spiral wrap with 10 guides each. I will be giving them a try and see if I like them a I have also wrapped up 4 Calstar BT130 7' they seem to be a better blank. has anyone tried Calstar rods?... the action on them is great for downrigger fishing Koknee and the blank has some good back bone for playing with the mac's also....Just may be the new hot ticket for a killer Koknee rod I will let you know once I test them...Oh did I mention I was a rod builder with 35+ years of experience with ocean rods and fly rods now I am on to playing with Koknee and doing quite well
    Mini Report of the last 2 weeks
    Shaver = 35 1 at 20" by the 8 year old , 15 small rainbows
    McClure =12 Koknee,7 Kings, 3 rainbow, 1 lake 26" , 1 Brook 19"
    Don Padro =7 Koknee , 4 nice Kings ,1 24" rainbow , 4 sun burns , 1 bee sting (me) on the way home

at McClure we were looking for the Brown and the Cutthrout but no luck that seemed like a grand slam to me as I am not sure if the other 2 are in that lake
    not too bad for one old man and 3 kids
    now we are off to Flamin Gorge to work on the Koknee and Lakers for a week
    Dave B
    16 Crestliner Angler, 2 scotty elec, pro-troll 900, humminbird798SI, old style black box, and more rods and reels then one could count, bigger boat in the works

You guys all have me buffaloed with all this brand talk about rods. I really only have experience with the Lamiglas Team Kokanee "Red" rod. It surprised me last week by landing a 20-lb. German Brown. I would have bet that it would break landing that fish. Story on another post

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ead.php?t=2163

This experience gave me a lot of confidence in that rod.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

I took a look at the Lamiglas kokanee rod at Anglers Den in Roy, UT. Very nice rod. Then I saw the price - $90. Ouch. So I asked if there were any other similar rods in the store for less money. The answer was yes.

I bought two. They are Ugly Stick Ultra-lites. Seven footers with a FAST action and rated for 2-6 or 8 lb test line. I used them today at Strawberry Reservoir looking for kokanee. They are very limber and showed the least little hook-up on the downriggers. The bad news is that ALL the hook-ups were on rainbows and cutthroats - no kokanees. They were very nice handling the 9 trout we caught and we never lost a single fish. I think I'm really going to like these two rods.

Oh, and the price was $40 apiece. Thats less money for 2 rods than one Lamiglas.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast