Thread: Lake Merwin

Default Lake Merwin

Well,

I made out to Merwin this morning for my first visit there. I have to say it was a beautiful day and a beautiful lake. Just hooked one Kokanee, but lost it at the boat. Since it was my first time on the lake, I did not know where to fish.

I know I will be back, but next Saturday is the derby at LBC. I can't wait!

Additional details. We were trolling at 40 & 60 feet down on both downriggers, which might have been too deep. Marked a lot of fish around that area, but no takers.

I was using a Red/Silver Shasta dodger with a red wedding ring, and corn. My buddy was using a red/silver e-chip dodger with a green wedding ring.

Switch to Ford Fenders and a silver Apex and hooked up within 5 minutes. About 50 pulls behind the boat.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0418090823.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0418090823a.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0418090824.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	450  
    Last edited by RibOwner; 04-19-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Great report RO.

WA anglers...
    Let's keep this thread going for the season with a Merwin focus.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Hola, all! I'm ready to give koke fishing a try...I should be just as skilled at not catching them as I am every other species. I live in Castle Rock, so Merwin ain't that far. Any advice would be appreciated...I have a small 10' boat, 9.9 Suzuki motor, no down riggers, a cheap fish finder, and most likely most of the rest of the required gear (I hope!). On the plus side, I have lots of free time and I learn fairly quickly.

Too early to focus on Merwin.....wait a month at least.::

Default Lake Merwin

Why Wait ? Time not fishing is time wasted!!

I know its a "Little Early" in the season but I made up so much Stuff this winter I just gotta have some time to test it all before things get real serious!!!

..............Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

I went to Merwin for 4 hours early last Sun morning. No hits...tried hi-low-slow-fast-flatline-downrigger-red-green lures. 50 boats on water....most fishing...saw two caught in the debris line. Nice day to shakedown the boat anyway....and my lab always enjoys a boat ride.

Default The annual shakedown trip Saturday.

The Kokanee are calling my name again , so it looks like this Saturday will be the kickoff to the season for me.

I didn't see many posts about Lake Merwin so we'll see how we do on our first trip out.

Hope to see a few a few fish caught , If you see a 15' Smoker Craft Lodge Series SS with bow rails it's probably me and the wife so feel free to give us a wave..........With your hand....... NOT YOUR BOAT !!!

Tight lines!....

Dodger.

Default Lake Merwin

Dodger......I am going up to the Lake on Thur afternoon & will be on the water Fri Sat & Sun. My boat is an 18ft Hewes with white sides and its named "SHES SO FINE" hope to see you out there! ....Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Thumbs up Spring has sprung!

Just got my sexy new "Kokanee FishingForum" decals and stocked up w/ the essentials @ Bob's...Mario there is a walking Koke encyclopedia, a very helpful guy.
    See you at Merwyn this week!

Default Catch anything at MERWIN last weekend?

DODGER and KOKONUTS,

How was the fishing at Merwin this past weekend? Hopefully good! Keep us posted.....

Rip'n Lip

Fri., May 1st. Where is Spring???

I went out about 8:00, the lake had small whitecaps and the wind was allready strong. And then it got windy!! And then more white caps! And more wind!

Then the wind surfers started in!! They were riding the waves and jumping like crazy!!!......
    Ok it wasnt that bad, but it sure felt like it!.........

I went in about 12:30 and the wind & waves IN THE MARINA turned me sideways between the docks! I was lucky to come in after another small boat with 2 guys so they helped me get it tied down.

They got 4 nice fish very early before the wind came up. They said they were using wedding rings with corn.

So it was not a good day for me!

But I'll be out again next week! ....Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

well i made it out on merwin on friday may 1st to try my new tr1 autopilot. worked awsome. then got a limit each for a buddy and myself . took 4 hrs to get our limits. very windy day. but all in all good day. just rough on the water. for a first day out i am very pleased

Sweet Pea...Care to share what was working for you?.....what size fish?

Thanks.....

No Boat, waiting for bank fishing at dam. It is taking forever to open park at dam. I hope they get it open before fish leave there. We caught one off the bank at Spelyai two weeks ago on a worm w/corn. Koke still had a minnow in its gullet. Couldn't coax another one on a hook in three hours. I caught a koke in horshoe lake while fishing for trout a month ago. I didn't even know they were in there! Last week 3 of us limited on silvers in 2 hours at Riffe, good fishing from bank. Has anyone fished for kokes at Alder lake? I used to catch silvers there, but I see they have been planting kokes for ten years.

Good Fishing

Does anyone know what the limit is per angler at Merwin? I have been told 10 per angler and I have also been told 5? Please clarify. I havent had a chance to look at the WDFW guidelines yet.... thanks guys..

Merwin follows the statewide trout/kokanee limit for lakes of 5 per day. It's neighbor Yale has a daily limit of 16.

Default First Kokanee

I caught my first Kokanee ever today. We were out on the lake by 5:30 and had our first fish within the first ten minutes. We were trolling Silver Ford Fenders with Pink and Red Wedding rings with corn at 20-25 feed deep on the downriggers. We caught roughly 20 fish and were off the lake by 10. Thank you all for you help and advice. I am hooked now. Those fish can really fight compared to a Trout. I even tried ringing up my line a little differently to feel the fish more. I tied two ford fenders together totaling about 4-5 feet and put them right off of the downrigger ball, then i put a downrigger clip about 2 feet above the ball and put just a single wedding ring about 2 feet behind the last ford fender. I caught 3 fish that way and all i had to fight was the fish and the wedding ring! how exciting. I hope to see you all out there.

Take care,

Rip'n Lip

Default Daughter's first fish!

I had a fun day taking my 4 year-old out for some daddy-daughter time today. We were on the water about 2 1/2 hours and fished for about an hour of that in between boat rides and playing in the waves. My girl caught a beautiful 16" koke in the process. Woo hoo!

The day was also bittersweet as I found out last night that a man who gave me lots of fishing tips as a child died of a stroke earlier this month. Red Crass died while fishing with his daughter, with a pole in his hand. He was a great asset to the Loon Lake community and helped establish and maintain a ned pen kokanee operation at the lake. We'll miss you Red. As I told my mother, "What a way to go."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Serenas First 7-20-09.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	805  

Mac,

you're a real dad, few and far between these days.
    my dad took me fishing when i could barely walk and before the days of life jackets. hiked Canyon Creek with him for native cutthroat and fished fall chinook on the Lewis when the fish were bigger than I was. what great memories. never forget the first time i got to net a big chinook for him, knocked it off....boy, he was mad....but got over it.

my son caught his first fish when he was 4, searun cutthroat trolling on North River....outfishes me to this day....knocked a 14lb summer run steelhead off at the boat this past week for him.....he's the one who showed me all these new fangled kokanee techniques , hoochies sling blades downriggers......
    .....pass it on.
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 07-21-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Call 'em squaw fish, call 'em pikeminnows either way they were everywhere today. Ugh.

Kokes were running 40-50 feet deep.