Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving Loss Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriverguy View Post
    Here are some of things I do to improve my landing ratio. Much of it has already been mentioned above.

1)Double hook set-up on lures.
    2)Use size 4 or size 2 hooks
    3)Don’t run flashers inline unless that is the only way to get bites.
    4)Ultralite slow action rods rated for 2-6 lb line.
    5)Use mono not braided line.
    6)Set the clip tension tight so a good hook set is produced. An average
    sized Kokanee should not be able to release the line from the clip, IMHO.
    7)Get the rod out of the holder, and line out of the clip, as soon as possible
    after a bite so any slack can be removed putting you in control of the fight.
    People new to downriggers and Kokanee loose fish by being too
    slow to get the rod out of the holder and the line out of the clip.
    8)Free spool reel using thumb for a drag when fish make runs.
    9)When a fish is twisting or splashing near the surface, either free spool
    line in a controlled way, or drop the rod tip in the water, or both.
    10)Tire the fish away from the boat if possible.
    11)Bring the fish in slowly, it is a finesse fight.
    12)Use a long handled net.
    13)Wait to net a fish until it is tired and swimming next to the boat.
    Great consolidation of the main tips... I can't say enough about 10 and 11 and this is why kids will land more fish if you just tell them to keep reeling and never stop. As long as the drag is set right they won't lose nearly as many fish as adults who tend to muscle... cough... wife.... cough... Let that limber Kokanee rod do the work along with a well set drag and then it will just be a scoop job at the boat. The kids got a lot of practice scooping the fish this last year which was fun to watch. Take a kid fishing and you'll see better catch results!

Does anyone use snubbers anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by MTmountainman View Post
    Depends on where you are fishing and the size of the fish. The evolution of kokanee rods per item #4 above have all but eliminated the need for snubbers. The exception in my view is if you are fishing for very small kokes in the 10" or under class where their mouths will tear out so easily. Then I could see the use for a snubber.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks SuperD. I've sure been admiring your creations on the TackleCraft board. I am going to be making up a bunch of gear and was wondering if snubbers would be on the list. They might, because I do not have great koke rods yet.

When I first started in 2010 targeting Kokanee I used snubbers because without them I would have lots of fish but couldn't get them in the boat. I was using my ultra light trout rods and the snubber helped. 2011 I got ultra light Kokanee rods and the snubber was unnecessary.

I use treble hooks, barrel swivels at the dodgers, abu 5500 and 6600 reels on 8'6" salmon/steelhead rods with my downriggers. I keep even tension on the line when reeling in a fish, and never use a net. I am good at just pulling the koke out in one motion and into the boat. I loose maybe one in 25 this way.

Since I got into koke fishing the snubbers have sat in the tackle box. The only time I might concider useing one is with in-line gang trolls... normally use ball trolls though.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 01-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Default Rubber Snubbers

I quit using rubber snubbers quite some time ago after purchasing two Kokanee poles made by Rogue Rods. I have been extremely happy with the performance of these poles.
    Fish are where you find them

I still use snubbers but only in a special case koke fishery.
    our late winter/early spring Feb>May cold water top troll.
    use 15lb braid (4lb mono) size to get a good hook set with 100>200 ft of line out, no weight, small gang troll or F.W. Gary's special light sling blades with or only spinner blade/hoochie, double hook tie on snubber and 3ft of mono 6lb leader.
    Level wind and long limber fiberglass rod.
    fishing done in top 10' of water which warms first from sun.

these early fish are crazy jumpers, fast growing stage with tender soft jaw tissue.
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechKoke View Post
    The Tica's do not have line counters. Generally I am fishing with pretty short setbacks most of the season so it has been easy to eyeball the distance or just do the old "pulls" method. Where it would have come in handy and having that Daiwa may be on my list for this next year is for jigging or top lining for trout to know I have them set back 150 feet for example.

One note on the drag system on the Tica that seems minor but I really like it and that is the drag clicks every micro adjustment so you hear it which I really like.

Monte - I hear there may be a few changes to the new Tica 2009 models but I need to check, they are not a big deal though.

Good to know Jason that KokaneeMart has them - I didn't know Ric was carrying them now.

Kevin
    I don't like big bulky reels such as line counters but I do take the time to mark all of the line on my trolling reels with a different colored sharpies at specific measurements. Say I want to be 28' down for Salmon at Drano lake, I measure out 40' (or 20 pulls at 2' each pull (to the first guide)) and mark a 3" line a few inches before the reel. 40x.7=28' as long as you keep a 45* angle on your line (adjusted by boat speed and or weight size) See no need for line counters for me......

Tight lines and rip some lips.

I don't think anyone mentioned keeping the rod tip down close to the water, to discourage the koke from jumping. Of course they still will sometimes thrash on the surface or even jump, but keeping the rod tip down very low minimizes it.
    Many a problem will solve itself if you forget it and go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    Careful with the line counters for jigging...I had my Daiwa AD17LC loaded with a lighter line than the 10lb test recommended and at a depth of 50' I was off by 12' on the counter. I'm gonna keep useing the line counters for trolling with the correct line for the best accuracy on the counters, and will stick with the lighter weight leaders. I also use short set-backs (around 5-10' depending on the use of ball
    sensitive rod
    Diawa line counter set-up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqKAps1tPI

Fyi,

Just purchased 2 Tica Linecounter reels, one now mounted on medium action rod m for use flatlining with banana sinkers. The other on a noodle for use with down rigger. Been doing well this spring at Billy Chinook with banana sinkers while using the down rigger for Bull trout. i can land a fish rebait and be fishing much faster with the banana sinkers than using the DR for kokes. Also when using the DR for kokes I miss half the strikes when the clip doesn't release. So when I pull up after 15 minutes with no strikes I find I have a fish on the end of the line!

mike

Yep, BUT mine are the multi colored large rubberbands that you can buy at an office supply store. ~ 6" unstretched. I double up and use 2 looped together. Almost infinite stretch.
    Been doing this since the early 80's. Works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12