Thread: New downriggers!

Default New downriggers!

Well I just placed an order for 2 new Scotty electric downriggers. All I have ever had was manual Cannons. I can't wait for spring! Now just have to figure out how to mount them in my new, well new to me, boat.

Congratulations! When mounting these 2, think long and hard about whether you think 2 more might ever be in your future. Think, as far back as possible for these 2 or as far forward as possible for these 2.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

You'll like them!

Just put two new Scotty electrics on after having manual ones.....no comparison. Love them! Dealer told me to put them no further then 30" from the stern - as far back as reasonably feasible. Work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee5 View Post
    Dealer told me to put them no further then 30" from the stern - as far back as reasonably feasible.
    That's bizarre advice.

Considering that this was the advice from the dealer along with what the Scotty manual outlines, plus if you look at most of the mounted downriggers being in that range would be curious on what you find bizarre about it.

What's magical about 30" from the stern? The world has changed to boats having 4 downriggers. 1 set at the stern and 1 set as far forward as possible. Boats that come from the factory with the downrigger plates already in position on the gunnel really jack things up with their assumptions about how someone may want to set up their boat. In short, Scotty has no reason to even mention gunnel location.

I have to agree with SuperD. Not all boats are laid out the same, so 30 inches would work fine in some boats....not so great in others. I would think about the placement in the driveway first, then take the boat out on the water and see what feels comfortable, leaning over to set line, etc as well as where your line would be trolling so it wouldn't get caught in a prop or the transom of the boat....before I picked up a drill. You probably measured and thought it was ok?

After giving it some thought, maybe the distance suggested was due to cord length?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    After giving it some thought, maybe the distance suggested was due to cord length?
    It's a safety issue - right out of the Scotty manual: "The downrigger can be mounted on the side of the boat, the stern or off the corner. Downriggers work best if they are mounted near the stern of the boat. They will work in any location but the risk of tangling wire line in your prop while turning the boat is minimized the further back the downrigger is mounted." So you can mount them wherever you like - just from a safety standpoint the further back you are the less likely you are to get your line tangled up. If you have a jet pump or troll with a bow mount electric probably does not make that big of difference. My guess is that the ones that come preinstalled on the boat do so since the manufacturer has determined that it is the safest location to prevent getting fouled up in the motor. The manufacturer of my boat said 30" since that is where the gunnel is the strongest for support of a downrigger plus far enough back to prevent tangling. Once again, no one said not to mount them wherever you want, just a recommendation for safety. No fun trying to untangle wire or heavy braid out of a prop....not to mention it can be dangerous depending on the circumstances. I'm sure there are those out there that have mounted them all over the boat and never had an issue....that is why it is just a recommendation.

Good luck fishing - tight lines.
    Last edited by Kokanee5; 03-04-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    I have to agree with SuperD. Not all boats are laid out the same, so 30 inches would work fine in some boats....not so great in others. I would think about the placement in the driveway first, then take the boat out on the water and see what feels comfortable, leaning over to set line, etc as well as where your line would be trolling so it wouldn't get caught in a prop or the transom of the boat....before I picked up a drill. You probably measured and thought it was ok?
    Combination of reading the installation manual, talking with the manufacturer and having had downriggers in the past. I do agree that with handling heavy weights while setting lines and releases the mounting location needs to be convenient and safe for those operations. The whole idea here, as you pointed out, is one around safety - too far back it might cause an issue with comfortably and safely handling the weights and gear - too far forward you can increase the likelihood of getting tangled up in ones motor. 30" is what was recommended for the boat I have and was a starting reference point specific to my boat. Each boat may be different. That is why I checked with the manufacturer to see what their recommendation was. There is nothing magical about 30" - just a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee5 View Post
    Combination of reading the installation manual, talking with the manufacturer and having had downriggers in the past. I do agree that with handling heavy weights while setting lines and releases the mounting location needs to be convenient and safe for those operations. The whole idea here, as you pointed out, is one around safety - too far back it might cause an issue with comfortably and safely handling the weights and gear - too far forward you can increase the likelihood of getting tangled up in ones motor. 30" is what was recommended for the boat I have and was a starting reference point specific to my boat. Each boat may be different. That is why I checked with the manufacturer to see what their recommendation was. There is nothing magical about 30" - just a starting point.
    Makes sense....did not mean to infer you hadn't done your homework on this subject. Sounds like you really thought it out and picked the right spot based on your previous experience and other information.

As far back as it is comfortable to operate. And the longer the arm the better. And if you do not already have them get ball retrievers.
    Take time before time takes you

I can speak from expedience, I never had a cable come close to my prop, second I personnel don't want any bracket mounted on my cunnals,I had custom brackets made placed on the side of my cunnals also bracket attached to my down riggers for taking my DR on and off. I have watch numerous video were folks are stepping on there motors,over coolers, in the wash of there motor compartment to net a fish because there DR are mounted on the stern of there boat,I ask the question why? I BEEN there done that mount your DR a little forward so you can get in front of them to load. This was you don't need a 22 ft handle on your net. Just food for thought. I run 4 elec cannons. I able to load from in front of my DR. I don't want them perminately attached. Hope this may help good luck

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I can speak from expedience, I never had a cable come close to my prop, second I personnel don't want any bracket mounted on my cunnals,I had custom brackets made placed on the side of my cunnals also bracket attached to my down riggers for taking my DR on and off. I have watch numerous video were folks are stepping on there motors,over coolers, in the wash of there motor compartment to net a fish because there DR are mounted on the stern of there boat,I ask the question why? I BEEN there done that mount your DR a little forward so you can get in front of them to load. This was you don't need a 22 ft handle on your net. Just food for thought. I run 4 elec cannons. I able to load from in front of my DR. I don't want them perminately attached. Hope this may help good luck
    You used a term I was not familiar with for where you didn't want to mount your brackets. I did a search for the term and can understand why you didn't want to mount a bracket there. Perhaps you meant gunnel?, which is a part of a boat.

I had special brackets made and bolted to the inside of my gunnels (female). I had the males brackets that slip into the brackets on my gunnels there I can just take my DR. off. When I want I CAN completely remove my units and I leave my gunnels completely free of any type of an obstacle when fishing for a fish I don't need my DR. I had a special plate made so I can mount my DR.on add my swivel mounts that come with the units on the plates.

The transom of the boat is the pivot point when the water is rough due to waves or boat wakes. Another reason to keep the downrigger as far back as workable is the stability of your downrigger, especially if you use long arms. When the balls are at or near the surface the ball could be flying around in and out of the water. Even when the balls are down thing can be moving around quite a bit down there.
    Take time before time takes you

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I had special brackets made and bolted to the inside of my gunnels (female). I had the males brackets that slip into the brackets on my gunnels there I can just take my DR. off. When I want I CAN completely remove my units and I leave my gunnels completely free of any type of an obstacle when fishing for a fish I don't need my DR. I had a special plate made so I can mount my DR.on add my swivel mounts that come with the units on the plates.
    I too had brackets made since my gunnels are awkward for mounting DR's. I take them off and put them on for different fishing venues.

Attachment 8434Attachment 8435

You will love Scotty downriggers I do .Also you have to think about when you tilt them up you have to mount them closer towards the inside of the gunnel just a thought. Have fun

I have Cannon mag 5's on my boat. My fishing partner has Scotty 1106's on his boat. I wish the cannon's were able to tilt up like the scotty's. Next year i will be looking into new riggers. At this point pretty sure they will be scotty's.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Tim, I love my Mag 5's for straight out the back. No retriever cord required.

Ya, I believe I'll like the tilt up feature. Can't wait for some Koke action.